Property Certificates for Landlords & homeowners

The easy, hassle-free way to book and manage gas, electrical and energy services. 

Book Now


Unchecked or poorly maintained gas appliances might endanger life by causing a gas leak or a fatal explosion.

Learn more


Faulty wiring or equipment might result in an electrical fire in a home. All installations must be well-maintained.

Learn more


Find out how much it will cost to heat and power the property, as well as receive helpful energy-saving tips.

Learn more

Why choose us?

From booking through inspection to receiving
your certificate, we simplify the entire process.

  • Confirmed AM or PM time slots
  • Expiry date reminder
  • Fully insured and accredited
  • We'll liaise with tenants

Learn more

How MultiCerts works

In just 3 simple steps:

You Choose

A certificate or service for a single property or multiple.

You Pick

A date and time slot that works for you with a 30 minute notice.

We Inspect

And email your certificate with a reminder of when it's next due.

What our customers say

We're rated 'Excellent' on Trustpilot.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I use MultiCerts?

Our background as engineers means we're best placed than our competitors to provide a first-class service with our technical knowledge and hands-on front-line experience.

How long are the certificates valid for?

Your EPC is valid for 10 years, Gas safety certificates for 1 year and EICRs last for 5 years.

Can you liaise with the tenant for me?

Of course - let us know their contact details when you book, and we’ll take care of the rest.

Are your engineers qualified?

Absolutely. All of our engineers are fully qualified, vetted and registered with the relevant governing bodies, so you know you’re dealing with engineers you can trust.

Will you send out reminders when my next inspection is due?

Yep! We’ll let you know when your certificate is due to expire, and then get it booked in for you at a time that suits.

When will I get my certificate/report?

Usually it’ll be in your inbox within 48 hours. You can view and download your certificate in your dashboard, too.

Will you let me know when the engineer is on the way?

Sure. We’ll call or text when we’re 30 mins away to give you a heads up.

Who qualifies as a landlord?

In relation to domestic gas under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GS(IU)R 98), a landlord is anyone who rents out a property.Regardless of whether you are a landlord under GS(IU)R 98, you may be considered a landlord under other related legislation. Landlords’ duties apply to a wide range of accommodation, occupied under a lease or licence, which includes, but not is not limited to:

• Residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
• Rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
• Rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrowboats on inland waterways.

What are my gas safety duties as a landlord?

As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.

Appliances, fittings and flues in a communal area which may be used by tenants are also included. You are responsible for the maintenance and repair of flues, appliances and pipework provided for your tenants use by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Although there is no prescribed timeframe for these duties, good practice would be the demonstration of regular, annual maintenance checks and subsequent repairs.

You are also responsible for ensuring an annual gas safety check is carried out within 12 months of the installation of a new appliance or flue which you provide and annually thereafter by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. You must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in. Our customer portal provides an easy way to store your certificates for Life for FREE.

Should all my gas appliances be tested?

Yes. All Gas Appliances in a property have to be tested during an inspection.

If my flue is not visible, and I do not have inspection hatches, will my Gas Safety Certificate FAIL?

This would be classed as ‘At risk’ and would result in your gas certificate being revoked. ‘At risk’ is a risk classification used by gas engineers, and in this case means that your boiler and flue system could become dangerous in the future. The engineer can’t examine the length of the flue to confirm whether it’s safe, so it is deemed ‘At risk’ and results in your Gas Safety certificate failing.

Should I provide my tenants with a Carbon Monoxide CO Alarm and Smoke Alarm?

As of 1st October 2015, by law every rental property should have a smoke alarm on every floor of a property.

My Gas Certificates have never failed in the past, why has it failed now?

This could be for one of two reasons: 1. Gas Safe regulation has changed or 2. The engineer you’ve used in the past didn’t inspect your property according to regulation.

What should I do if there are any defects on the gas certificate?

The gas safety check record is a record of the results of the checks carried out for the annual gas safety check. It should be issued on completion of the checks and not delayed (even if defects are found) or until necessary remedial action has been taken. The record is a ‘living document’ and landlords should supplement it with records of any follow up action taken (if required). This will provide a full record of the gas safety within the property.

What does EICR mean?

EICR stands for an Electrical Installation Conditioning Report.

Do I need an electrical installation conditioning report?

Yes - an EICR is now a legal requirement, and you’ll need to have one carried out every 5 years. The report needs to be provided to existing tenants within 28 days of the inspection, to new tenants before they move in and to the local authorities within 7 days if they request to see it. You’ll also need to set a date for your next inspection once you receive the current report.

What is an EICR?

An EICR – or Electrical Installation Condition Report – is an official document produced following a full inspection of the electrical systems and installations in your home or workplace. As part of the periodic inspection process, qualified electricians will check whether your electrics are well-maintained and, more importantly, safe. Once your premises have passed all the checks and any urgent remedial work has been carried out, you’ll receive a certificate of safety.

Who needs an EICR?

EICRs are for any buildings or premises which have electrical systems. They are used by business owners, homeowners, landlords and authorities which manage public buildings like schools, churches and leisure centres and more. There’s many reasons why a business or property owner might request an EICR, and there are many benefits to having one, but what it often boils down to is documented proof that the on-site electrics are safe.

How often is the test needed?

It depends on the type of property. Here are some examples for you:

- Private homeowner – Every 10 years
- Rented home – Every 5 years
- Caravan – Every 3 years
- Swimming Pool – Every year

Will I lose power during the test?

There will be a minor power outage on the circuit when the test is being run, but most of the testing is done when the system is still live. We can plan the minor outages around your day to make sure it doesn’t interrupt you.

How long does an electrical installation conditioning report take?

Testing times always depend on the size of the system we’re testing so it's hard to give you a number - but we try to make it’s completed as quickly as possible for you.

What is actually on the report?

The report will show every electrical installation that was tested, whether it passed or not as, well as details of any remedial work required (and their fault codes).

What are the fault codes?

Fault codes are used to indicate the level of fault with an electrical system.

• C1 means ‘Danger is present’, risk of injury is likely and IMMEDIATE action is required.
• C2 is the classification for POTENTIALLY dangerous and remedial action is needed urgently.
• C3 is the last classification code, and the only one that can appear on a report and have it still pass the EICR test. C3 means improvement to your electrical system is recommended but not required.

Is an EICR a legal requirement?

As of June 1st 2020 - yes! Private landlords now have a legal responsibility to have the electrical installations in their property inspected and tested by a qualified engineer every 5 years.

What is an energy performance certificate?

The EPC shows you estimated heating, lighting and hot water costs, as well as carbon emissions released over a three year period. It also gives you recommendations about how you can reduce energy usage and keep costs down. Bear in mind that it’s a legal requirement to get an EPC every time you buy, sell or rent a property.

How long is my EPC valid for?

An EPC is valid for 10 years.

My property has received an A/B/C/D/E/F/G rating on the EPC - what does this mean?

The EPC is there to tell you how energy-efficient your property is. You’re rated from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient).

Without an EPC, can I market my property?

You’ll need an EPC if you want to put your property on the market. As soon as you’ve ordered your EPC, we’ll send you your order confirmation so you can list your property for sale.

Can I rent without an EPC?

Again, you’ll need to have ordered an EPC before you can start to advertise your property for rent or lease. As soon as you’ve placed your order, we’ll get you confirmation forwarded to you. That way, you can start to advertise your property straight away.

I have a report - why does it say “insulation assumed”?

During the assessment, the assessor will gather data and evidence to support their findings. If the householder doesn’t have evidence to prove insulation to the floors, walls and roof, then the assessor will state ‘insulation unknown’ in the EPC software. When this happens, the software then makes assumptions on whether it thinks there is insulation in the building, based on the age and construction of the building. Next to this assumption you’ll see the word ‘assumed’ - this isn’t a definitive decision on whether or not there is insulation present, but it’s what the software assumes to be the case.

What's included in the ‘EPC site notes?’

The EPC site notes often include notes of observations, photos as evidence of these observations, and a floor plan. As part of our application reviews and/or audits, we might request to see EPC site notes recorded by your assessor. We’ll let you know if we need to see copies of these - just ask your assessor if they’re happy to send these across.

Help & Advice

Still have questions?

Contact us.

Live Chat  Call Us